PRP which stands for Platelet-Rich Plasma, is a procedure where the use of a small amount of one’s own blood is extracted, platelets are separated in a centrifuge, and then re-injected into the injured areas releasing growth factors that promote natural tissue healing.
Platelets are a natural source of a number of growth factors in their natural and biologically determined ratios. This procedure is used to promote hair growth, as well as, an add-on treatment to other procedures like Fraxel and Infini to promote more collagen and growth factor stimulation.
What to Expect during a PRP treatment
History of PRP
- Hair loss
- Combining with facial rejuvenation procedures to promote more dramatic results and stimulate collagen in the healing process.
PRP pricing depends on the area you’re having treated and the number of treatments you need for your desired results. We encourage you to come in for a consultation at which point we can give you a more precise idea of cost. As an estimate, a 3 treatment package for hair loss is $1400 and each individual treatment is $500. PRP treatments can be used in conjunction INFINI Genius for facial rejuvenation applications. The cost of PRP add-ons with INFINI Genius are $300 each in addition to the INFINI Genius costs.
Top 10 PRP FAQs
How long will the visits last?
- Depending on if we are combining the PRP procedure with a facial rejuvenation procedure, the visit can be as little as 30-minutes
How many treatments will I need?
- The number of treatments you will need depends on your specific treatment goals and desired outcome. Typically, patients receive their desired outcomes in 4-6 treatments.
Can an PRP treatment be painful?
- PRP is close to a physiologic pH, which means the product is less likely to cause a stinging or burning sensation. There may be some temporary discomfort or possible redness and inflammation at the application site, but quickly resolves.
Is PRP safe?
- Since the autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from a patient’s own blood, there is virtually no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection.
How is PRP at WDC different from other PRP procedures?
- There are fewer steps required with the PRP system used at WDC than other systems of extraction, there is Optimal platelet recovery 87% ± 10%, only a small amount of blood is required, and it yields various volumes and concentration levels to meet patient and procedure needs.
How long will the positive effects of PRP last?
- It varies depending on your particular condition of skin and what we are treating. Results can last for years if you continue to protect your skin as advised by your healthcare provider.
What is Platelet-Rich-Plasma?
- Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma, also known as PRP, is a high concentration of your own platelets in a small volume of plasma.
How much does PRP cost?
- The cost of PRP depends on the areas being treated and the recommended number of treatments suggested by your provider. It is best to seek an estimated price from your healthcare provider, since every case is different.
What are the expected side effects of PRP?
- As with any injection-based treatment, infection is a slight possibility. Possible irritation in the treated area can occur, but should subside quickly.
How far in between do the PRP treatments have to be?
- We recommend 4-6 weeks in between sessions to allow for full healing time.
Are you a candidate for Eclipse PRP®?
PRP is suited for men and women seeking hair restoration, or looking for enhanced results on top of their facial rejuvenation procedures. The PRP procedure is customizable for any lifestyle and beauty regimen. Contact Wilmington Dermatology Center today to setup your free cosmetic consultation and find out if PRP is the right option for you.