As the Holiday season quickly approaches, we are all tempted with the guilty pleasures of pumpkin pies, eggnog, and the unlimited supply of casseroles. While indulging in these seasonal goodies we sometime forget the effects that they may have on our skin. Acne can be a common trigger from eating unhealthy meals. To avoid unwanted breakouts during this time with family and friends, we want to remind you of what foods to steer clear of while gathering around the table.
6 Ways To Keep Your Skin Pimple Free
- Limit Dairy Products- Milk holds hormones that build tissue in the body. These hormones can also increase oil production that can lead to blemished skin. Keep this in mind when setting out the milk and cookies for Santa this year!
- Pass up the White Breads- When adding that hefty portion of stuffing onto your plate, be mindful that eating high glycemic index foods may be tied to flare-ups. Stay away from empty carb foods, such as, white bread, pasta, and white rice.
- Moderate the Chocolate- Chocolate can increasingly raise insulin levels that can lead to acne bacteria. It’s important to not overindulge in this holiday delicacy.
- Avoid High Calorie Foods- It can be hard to keep away from all the delicious desserts during the holidays, but these treats can often increase skin oil output, which often lead to clogged pores and acne breakouts.
- Keep up with Omega-3 Acids- These fatty acids are generally found in fish oils, nuts, spices, etc. A good balance of Omega-3s will help swelling and redness usually brought on by acne.
- Add Zinc to your diet- Zinc helps reduce inflammation, and helps kill acne bacteria. Instead of the Ham for dinner, focus on Seafood, such as, cooked oysters, crab or lobster. Other foods high in Zinc to consider are Spinach, Cashews, and Pumpkin seeds.
Research Source: www.acne.org
What treatments are best for addressing anti-aging?
The science behind anti-aging lasers are no mystery! Fractionated lasers are the gold standard option that penetrate the skin’s top layer where light energy then stimulates collagen and works to resurface that top layer of skin. Your skin’s natural rejuvenation process will smooth wrinkles and scars by stimulating collagen over time.
Here at WDC we have two exclusive gold standard laser options to accommodate our patient’s needs.
The Fraxel® Dual platform we use at WDC is great for correcting age factors and damage such as age spots, sun spots, melasma, acne scarring, fine lines and pore size. Our patient’s love that they see results after just one treatment! The Fraxel is your corrective laser and best for those who are looking for dramatic changes to their skin. But be sure to plan ahead when scheduling as you will have downtime.
If you have a busy schedule that won’t accommodate downtime don’t worry, the Clear + Brilliant system is for you! Built to be a “Mini Fraxel” this system provides a unique treatment that refreshes your skin from the inside out. Clear + Brilliant treatments leave our patients with improved tone and texture and reduced pigmentation and pore size. If you are looking to do more than a chemical peel, without the hassle of downtime, the Clear + Brilliant system is your solution.
Why is Fall the perfect time?
The Fall is the ideal season to start your Fractionated Laser treatments! Following laser treatments your skin is very sensitive and sun exposure can aggravate your skin. Waiting for the fall months when the days are shorter and the sun is less intense is beneficial for these post-procedure precautions. Dr. Rosalyn George and the staff at Wilmington Dermatology Center are happy to assist you in planning and scheduling your fall fractionated laser appointment.