PRP which stands for Platelet-Rich Plasma, is a procedure where the use of a small amount of one’s own blood is extracted, platelets are separated in a centrifuge, and then re-injected into the injured areas releasing growth factors that promote natural tissue healing. Platelets are a natural source of a number of growth factors in their natural and biologically determined ratios. This procedure is used to promote hair growth, as well as, an add-on treatment to other procedures like Fraxel and Infini to promote more collagen and growth factor stimulation.
What to Expect with Platelet-Rich Plasma
A PRP treatment is really relatively simple. Upon arriving for your appointment, you will be brought back to a treatment room where one of our experienced nurse’s will draw a vial of your blood, similar to what you would have done for routine labs, that is then placed in a Centrifuge to extract the plasma. This process takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. The Centrifuge is used to ensure optimal platelet recovery and consistency. Upon the completion of the plasma preparation, your provider will then re-inject the plasma into the desired treatment area, or simply apply topically if you’re combining with another facial rejuvenation procedure. There may be some temporary discomfort or possible redness and inflammation at the application site that should quickly resolve. The total procedure can take as little as 30 minutes to complete, depending on the specific treatment being performed. Your medical professional can come up with a personalized treatment plan to determine how many treatments are necessary for your desired outcome. All PRP patients are provided with Dr. Rosalyn George’s personal contact information if any concerns arise outside of normal business hours. Activation causes platelets to release essential growth factors and signaling proteins, which are responsible for the wound-healing process, therefore optimal results vary between patients and procedure type.
Why PRP at WDC?
Dr. Rosalyn George and the rest of the Wilmington Dermatology Center staff have proven their dedication and passion for skincare by being recognized as one of the leading practices in all of Eastern North Carolina. Our experience and innovation is evident as we continue to bring new technology and advanced training techniques in to the Wilmington, North Carolina market. PRP at WDC is no different. With the superior platelet recovery system we are able to customize a treatment plan, yielding various volumes and concentration levels to meet patients needs in a shorter amount of time than standard PRP procedures. The Wilmington Dermatology professionals sit down with you one and one and discuss what it is you wish to improve about your skin. You can expect to leave with a clear plan of action, an understanding of time-frame and expectations, and anticipated cost at our free consultations.
History of PRP
PRP was first developed in the 1970s and first used in Italy in 1987 in an open heart surgery procedure. It has since been applied to many different medical fields such as cosmetic surgery, dentistry, sports medicine and pain management. Since the autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from a patient’s own blood, there is virtually no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection.
The results of treatment are varying depending on what we are treating. For hair loss, you may start to see results in about 4-8 months, after 3-4 treatments. Treatments are typically done 4 weeks apart. PRP creates impressive results both as an isolated procedure or when incorporated into a treatment plan with hyaluronic acid fillers, neuromodulators and laser technology. If we are adding on to a treatment with PRP topically, improvements may be seen in as little as 6 weeks. The PRP we use treatment is safe and effective for the treatment of:
- Hair loss
- Combining with facial rejuvenation procedures to promote more dramatic results and stimulate collagen in the healing process.
PRP pricing depends on the area you’re having treated and the number of treatments you need for your desired results. We encourage you to come in for a consultation at which point we can give you a more precise idea of cost. As an estimate, a 3 treatment package for hair loss is $1350 and individual add-on treatments during facial rejuvenation applications with INFINI are $300 each in addition to the INFINI costs.
Top 10 PRP FAQ
How long will the visits last?
- Depending on if we are combining the PRP procedure with a facial rejuvenation procedure, the visit can be as little as 30-minutes
How many treatments will I need?
- The number of treatments you will need depends on your specific treatment goals and desired outcome. Typically, patients receive their desired outcomes in 4-6 treatments.
Can an PRP treatment be painful?
- PRP is close to a physiologic pH, which means the product is less likely to cause a stinging or burning sensation. There may be some temporary discomfort or possible redness and inflammation at the application site, but quickly resolves.
Is PRP safe?
- Since the autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from a patient’s own blood, there is virtually no risk of an allergic reaction or rejection.
How is PRP at WDC different from other PRP procedures?
- There are fewer steps required with the PRP system used at WDC than other systems of extraction, there is Optimal platelet recovery 87% ± 10%, only a small amount of blood is required, and it yields various volumes and concentration levels to meet patient and procedure needs.
How long will the positive effects of PRP last?
- It varies depending on your particular condition of skin and what we are treating. Results can last for years if you continue to protect your skin as advised by your healthcare provider.
What is Platelet-Rich-Plasma?
- Autologous Platelet-Rich Plasma, also known as PRP, is a high concentration of your own platelets in a small volume of plasma.
How much does PRP cost?
- The cost of PRP depends on the areas being treated and the recommended number of treatments suggested by your provider. It is best to seek an estimated price from your healthcare provider, since every case is different.
What are the expected side effects of PRP?
- As with any injection-based treatment, infection is a slight possibility. Possible irritation in the treated area can occur, but should subside quickly.
How far in between do the PRP treatments have to be?
- We recommend 4-6 weeks in between sessions to allow for full healing time.
Are you a candidate for Eclipse PRP®?
PRP is suited for men and women seeking hair restoration, or looking for enhanced results on top of their facial rejuvenation procedures. The PRP procedure is customizable for any lifestyle and beauty regimen. Contact Wilmington Dermatology Center today to setup your free cosmetic consultation and find out if PRP is the right option for you.
Patient Treatment Documents
Please download and view the PRP pre-visit instructions ahead of your visit.
Please download and view the PRP post-care instructions to follow after your treatment.
In the Media
Dr. George discusses PRP
Watch to learn how PRP can and will promote hair growth and enhance cosmetic treatments