Laser Hair Removal
The Wilmington Dermatology Center laser hair removal device, the Light Sheer® Duet™, is the new golden standard of hair removal. This newer laser hair removal technology delivers energy to the treatment area—where the wavelength targets the darker pigment in our skin—specifically the melanin in the hair follicle. Since the hair follicle goes through a number of growth stages, laser hair removal requires around 5-6 treatments to give you permanent reduction of fifty to ninety percent of the treated area. Future maintenance touch-up visits may be required to address hair that has grown for various reasons such as treatment cycle timing, hormones, medications, etc.
Differing from traditional laser hair removal, the Light Sheer® Duet™ has dramatically increased its spot treatment size, enabling it to treat larger areas in a shorter period of time. It also includes a vacuum-assist technology to make the treatment more comfortable for the patient. The Light Sheer® Duet™ includes two different headpieces, enhancing permanent hair removal to all areas of the body while increasing efficacy.
The process for beginning your laser hair removal treatment is simple. Once you’ve determined your desired area, Wilmington Dermatology professionals will determine if the larger or smaller headpiece is the best option. It is recommended that patients come to the appointment with the treatment areas shaved (not waxed) and prepped for treatment. In the case that there is excess hair in the treatment areas, we will shave and prep the location at the time of the appointment. Our nurse will then adjust the laser for optimal treatment according to your skin type. The headpiece is placed on the treatment area and the energy is then delivered to the skin. The patient will feel the suction on the vacuum-assist technology that brings the hair follicle closer to the laser for greater energy absorption and improved results. While treatment time entirely depends on the area being treated, legs and backs can typically be done in 15-20 minutes with no needed gels or anesthetics. While this is a no downtime treatment, it is not uncommon for patients to experience mild redness, itching and swelling to the hair follicle. These side effects rarely last up to two days following the procedure.
Light Sheer® Duet™ is by far your best laser hair removal option offering comfort and faster treatment times to all body surfaces.
Why Light Sheer® Duet™ at Wilmington Dermatology Center?
As one of the leading practices in eastern North Carolina, our experience in innovation is evident through our patient satisfaction and growth. The Light Sheer® Duet™ has been featured in Maxim Magazines Fall trends for men, In Touch Magazine and on The View. Wilmington Dermatology Center is the only healthcare provider in all of Wilmington to offer the newer and painless technology of the Light Sheer® Duet™. Dr. Rosalyn George has been the first provider to introduce a number of technologies to Wilmington, North Carolina and continues to offer customized and progressive techniques through advanced training and experience. Our free cosmetic consultations will give you the opportunity to sit down with a provider and determine if laser hair removal is a good option for you, as well as go into greater depth on the treatment, preparation and discounted package pricing.
History of Laser Hair Removal
While most men and women used to stick to strictly shaving and waxing, laser hair removal revolutionized to rid yourself of unwanted hair. Tested for about 20 years prior, laser hair removal became commercialized for use in the mid 1990’s. They have been FDA approved for permanent hair reduction in the long-term since 1997. While traditional laser hair removal treatments were extremely painful and time consuming, the Light Sheer® Duet™ has since changed that, making it the most versatile laser hair removal product on the market.
Top 10 Laser Hair Removal FAQ
How long does the treatment take?
- Varying from areas treated, an area as large as a back that used to take an hour, now only takes 15-20 minutes
When will I see results?
- You may notice hair reduction after your first treatment, although the full 90% reduction will take up to 8 treatments
How many treatments do I need?
- Depending on your skin and hair color we typically recommend 4-7 treatments for lighter skin patients and 5-9 treatments for darker skin patients.
- Additional touch-up visits may be required to maintain any areas that might have continued growth
How much does it cost?
- Wilmington Dermatology Center offers extremely competitive pricing for laser hair removal treatments with a worry free pay as you go model and the ability to receive your 6th treatment free. Additional touch-up visits for small areas will run $20, and for large areas the touch-up fee is $40. Come in for a free consultation to get your individual treatment plan and pricing.
Are there any side effects?
- Some typical side effects may occur after treatment including itchy skin, pink/redness and possible mild swelling of the hair follicle.
How do laser hair removal and electrolysis differ?
- Electrolysis is another hair removal method. Unlike laser hair removal, electrolysis can be used on all hair color, including white/light hair. While laser hair removal is only used on dark hair, it is a less painful and faster option for hair removal.
Can I go out in the sun during treatments?
- We will not be able to treat areas with high sun exposure to ensure that the laser targets the hair follicle and not the melanin in the skin. We recommend treating during times of the year with less sun exposure.
Who is a good candidate?
- While laser hair removal is effective in removing hair on patients of all skin type, it is most effective on light skin with dark hair.
Does the procedure hurt?
- The laser hair removal process is much less painful with the new Light Sheer® Duet™ technology and is conducted without an anesthetic or pain medication.
Does it really matter who does my treatment?
- Although there are minimal regulations on who can treat patients with laser hair removal, it is recommended that a licensed professional with laser experience do your procedure. Correct settings and headpiece placement affect optimal results.
Are you a good laser hair removal candidate?
Laser hair removal is a great option for both men and women looking to reduce hair growth in unwanted places. While all laser hair removal devices only work effectively on dark pigmented hair, the Light Sheer® Duet™ works on all skin tones at different energy levels. At Wilmington Dermatology Center, we encourage patients to take advantage of our free cosmetic consults, where a provider can assess and determine if laser hair removal will work for you. Patients should also disclose to their providers if they are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan on becoming pregnant in the future.
Patient Treatment Documents
Please download and view the laser hair removal pre-visit instructions ahead of your visit.
Please download and view the laser hair removal post-care instructions to follow after your treatment.
Dr. George discusses Laser Hair Removal
WDC is the only practice in Wilmington, NC to offer the Light Sheer® Duet™. This specific Laser Hair system requires less treatment time and very minimal pain. Watch Dr. George discuss the many benefits of Laser Hair removal.