In this week’s blog post we answer your BURNING questions on Sunscreen and how to beat the damaging effects of the sun this year while still having fun and looking good. With our busy lives, it’s often easy to forget this important step of applying sunscreen in your skincare regimen. We share the frustration that it can be a hassle applying it to ourselves and our children, but the short term and long term affects of not caring for our skin can’t be ignored.
We answer some of the most common questions of what to look for in a sunscreen.
1. What is SPF and how much do I need? SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor and we recommend using a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, which blocks 97 percent of the sun’s rays. SPFs higher than 30 block slightly more of the sun’s rays.
2. Do I need a higher SPF for sensitive skin and children? When parents choose a sunscreen for their children, they typically look for the highest SPF they can find as well as a kid’s brand. While it is fine to use these, they are really not that much different from those that are made for adults, so you don’t really have to buy a separate sunscreen just for your kids. For people with sensitive skin, a natural physical sun blocker, that includes zinc oxide and titanium oxide are best.
3. Why do I need a broad spectrum SPF sunscreen? It’s important to block the UVA and UVB rays from our skin. UVA rays make up over 95% of the sun’s rays and are more damaging, causing pre-mature aging and skin cancer. UVB rays are the chief cause of reddening and sunburn and tend to damage the skin’s most superficial epidermal layer.
4. Is there a sunscreen that is really waterproof? The answer is NO. New FDA Regulations do not allow sunscreen manufactures to state that on the packaging. However, there are some great water resistant sunscreens for up to 40 minutes or 80 minutes, which means the sunscreen provides protection while swimming or sweating up to the time listed on the label.
5. How long do I wait before I reapply? Sunscreens should be applied 30 minutes before sun exposure to allow the ingredients to fully bind to the skin. Reapplication of sunscreen is just as important as putting it on in the first place, so reapply every two hours. Sunscreens should also be reapplied immediately after swimming, toweling off, or sweating a great deal.
New trends and innovations in sunscreens:
It’s easier now than ever to pick a sunscreen you like that provides the protection you need. The new trend now, is an all-in-one product. Keeping it easy, just one product instead of three! We carry Revision Intellishade, an anti-aging tinted moisturizer with an SPF45 all wrapped in one product. This wonderful product won New Beauty Magazine’s Beauty Choice Awards for the best sunscreen sold at a doctor’s office. Revision Intellishade is also paraben free, gluten free and GMO free! For all the brands available at Wilmington Dermatology Center, visit our website.
Don’t forget to protect your eyes! Sunglasses do not always completely protect your eyes from the harmful rays. Now, you can completely protect your eyes with a brand new sunscreen made just for the eyes. This latest innovation from SkinCeuticals, the leader in sunscreens, is called Physical Eye UV Defense. It is a mineral based broad spectrum SPF50 sunscreen that can be applied all around the eye including the eyelid right down to your lashes. It is non-migrating, so it will not irritate your eyes nor will it leave a white tint behind as it has a universal tint and blends into all skin tones. This is a must have not only for summer but all year round. Stop by our office and pick one up today!
As for everyday use, SkinCeuticals has a mineral based sunscreen SPF50 in a sheer or tinted finish that is perfect to wear under make-up. For more protection from the sun for outdoor activities, keep it simple for the whole family, and use just one sunscreen for everyone. WDC suggests SkinCeuticals Sport UV Defense Broad Spectrum SPF50, water resistant up to 80 minutes. It’s marathon runner tested! Also, another great sunscreen in this category is SkinMedica Environmental Defense SPF50+. This sunscreen provides a full-spectrum UVA/UVB protection strengthened with antioxidant/free radical defense.
Want to save this big this summer on great products for your skin, then check-out our events calendar for the next product sales event. http://www.wilmingtondermatologycenter.com/news-events/events/
Tips from the WDC experts:
When outdoors, or driving in your car, wear sunglasses that wrap around your eyes that have UVA/UVB protection. Always wear a hat for protection from the sun and a light weight long sleeve shirt when possible. Keep your sunscreen handy! You may never know what your day will bring that will cause you to be exposed to the sun for longer than expected. Be prepared with a small or travel size sunscreen in your bag along with a lip balm containing sunscreen. Incidental sun exposure is still sun exposure, whether it’s driving in your car, walking to your office, eating outdoors, or picking the kids up from sports practice. So always make it a habit of applying sunscreen before you leave the house. This summer, protect your skin by keeping it simple! Stop by our office to pick up one of these amazing sunscreen products the whole family will love. We will help you pick the right one for your lifestyle.Tags: revision, skincancer, skinceuticals, skinmedica, sun damaged skin, sunscreen