Kybella™ is used to treat a commonly undertreated aesthetic condition known as submental fat, or in common terms the “double chin” area. Submental fullness can impact a broad range of adults, but is not limited to people who are overweight. It can affect men and women of average weight and is typically caused by genetics, aging, and weight gain, which is often resistant to diet and exercise. The active ingredient in Kybella™ is deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When it is injected into the fat beneath your chin, the solution causes the destruction of fat cells, causing the cells to be destroyed and unable to store or accumulate fat. Kybella™ is the first and only non-surgical option on the market to treat the double-chin area.
The Kybella™ procedure begins with a customized treatment plan determined by your provider. When you are called back for your appointment, the area will be thoroughly cleaned and a marked template of injection points will be placed under the chin area. The area will then be iced for a series of minutes prior to the procedure to help with any discomfort. The Kybella™ medicine is then administered as an injection into the fat tissue in the submental area tailored to the treatment goals of the patient and their physician. Treatments are typically spaced no less than a month apart and may only be administered by a physician. Many patients experience visible contouring of their chin profile in two to four treatment sessions. Up to 6 treatments may be administered per patient.
Kybella™ is developed by Kythera Biopharmaceuticals recently acquired by Allergan.
Why Kybella™ at Wilmington Dermatology Center?
Wilmington Dermatology Center was the first practice in Wilmington to offer Kybella™ treatment to our patients. Dr. Rosalyn George was among a short list of initial physicians to be trained on the product here in the US. At Wilmington Dermatology Center, we strive to bring patients the newest and greatest procedures and products in order to give them optimal results in achieving full facial rejuvenation. Dr. Rosalyn George is also a national trainer with Allergan for injectable products such as Voluma, Juvederm, and Botox. In June of 2015 Allergan acquired Kythera Biopharmaceuticals the company who developed Kybella™
Established as the first and only non-surgical procedure to eliminate the submental, or double-chin fat area, Kybella™ received FDA approval in April of 2015. Kybella™ is identical to the deoxycholic acid that is produced in the body. Deoxycholic acid produced in the body helps the body absorb fats. KybellaTM is a cytolytic drug, which when properly injected into submental fat, destroys fat cells.
How long do Kybella™ results last?
- When injected into the fat under your chin, Kybella™ causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat. After the aesthetic response is achieved, retreatment with Kybella™ is not expected.
When will I see results?
- Kybella™ results are seen within 2-4 treatments, sometimes sooner.
How many people have been treated with Kybella™?
- Kybella™ has been the focus of a global clinical development program involving over 20 clinical studies with more than 2,600 patients worldwide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with Kybella™.
Can I get Kybella™ done the same day as other injectable procedures?
- Yes, you can receive Kybella™ the same day you receive other injectable treatments such as Botox, Voluma XC and Restylane Silk. We do prefer, however, to treat after any laser procedures.
How does Kybella™ remove the fat in the treated area?
- The active ingredient in Kybella™ is deoxycholic acid, a naturally-occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath your chin, Kybella™ causes the destruction of fat cells. Once destroyed, those cells cannot store or accumulate fat.
Is Kybella™ safe?
- Kybella™ has gone through over 20 clinical studies with more than 2,600 patients worlswide, of which over 1,600 have been treated with Kybella™. The production is highly controlled, quality-assured, and validated. The product contains no human or animal-derived substances.
Does it really matter who does my Kybella™?
- Kybella™ should be administered by a trained physiscian only. There are a number of side effects that may be experienced, only if injected improperly.
Will I experience any side effects from Kybella™?
- The safety profile of Kybella™ is well characterized. The most common side effects are swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness and areas of hardness around the treatment area.
Kybella™: Before and After
*Results may vary
Kybella™: Are you a candidate?
If you’re bothered by and looking for a non-surgical option to treat the under chin or submental fat area, then Kybella™may be the treatment for you! It is designed and approved for men and women to treat moderate to severe fat below the chin, but it is best to take advantage of our free consults, so we can determine how many treatments and if this product is your best option. Patients should also disclose and health issues and whether they are pregnant, plan to become pregnant or are breast-feeding. The best way to see if you are a candidate is to schedule a no-cost consultation today with your skincare experts at Wilmington Dermatology Center.
Actual WDC Kybella™ Testimonial
“Over the years with aging, I slowly developed an accumulation of fat under my chin. It made me look old and did not match/fit the rest of my face. I had heard about the Kybella treatments and met with Dr. George to learn more about the procedure and to find out if I was a good candidate. She explained the procedure and I felt comfortable proceeding with the treatment. After the 1st treatment I saw a dramatic improvement and was extremely pleased. The downtime was minimal and went according to schedule. I’ve now been treated a 2nd time and am looking forward to achieving an even better contouring under my chin. I’m very happy with my results from the Kybella treatments and would recommend it to anyone that wants to eliminate the fat under the chin and achieve a more contoured facial appearance”
Patient Treatment Documents
Please download and view the Kybella™ pre-visit instructions ahead of your visit.
Dr. George discusses Kybella™
WDC was the first practice in Wilmington, NC to offer Kybella. Watch to see how this series of treatments may be your answer to that frustrating double chin.